Back to top

We have a range of support programs that can assist you to maintain your current private or public housing tenancy.

If you are wanting to access the private rental market or you are having difficulty with your current private rental tenancy, you can talk to the Initial Assessment and Planning Program. If you are under 25 years old and you would prefer to speak to a youth worker, you can talk to the Youth Services Program. Difficulties may include:

  • Rent in advance
  • Rent arrears
  • Advocacy
  • Information and advice
  • Access to resource lists
  • You have received a notice to vacate

If you currently live in public housing and are having difficulties with your tenancy, you can access advice and support by talking to the Social Housing and Advocacy Support Program.

If you have a child or children and you are living in a rooming house, and you would like to explore other options, you can talk to the Initial Assessment and Planning Program.

If your housing is at risk due to family violence, you can talk to the Women’s Services Program.


General Information:

WAYSS can provide information on your housing options. This might include information on private rental, government and community housing and also emergency accommodation options. The key option for most people will be private rental accommodation.

Being accepted for a private rental property can take time. When you apply for a property and are turned down, this can be very disappointing. Remember that this happens to most people and you may have to apply for many different properties before being accepted. Unfortunately WAYSS are not able to find a private rental property for you, but we can give some advice on how to search for properties and things to remember when attending inspections.


Rent in Advance

If you have been successful in your search and have been accepted for a private rental property, you will probably have to provide a bond and rent in advance to secure it. WAYSS may be able provide a small amount of financial assistance towards your rent in advance if you are on a low income. This will depend on your eligibility (as per DHHS guidelines) and the availability of funding.  You should speak to an Initial Assessment and Planning worker if you wish to find out more about this.


Bond Loan

If you are on a low income you may also be able to access a bond loan. WAYSS are not able to help with paying a bond, as the bond loan is provided by the Office of Housing. It can take a few days for a bond loan application to be processed, so you must apply as soon as possible.

Remember that you will only be able to access financial help from WAYSS or the Office of Housing if the property you are moving into is affordable for you. This means the rent must not be higher than 55% of your total household income.


Rental Arrears

If you are currently living in a private rental and have fallen behind in your rent, you may be at risk of being evicted from your property. The landlord has to follow a legal process to evict you, but if you allow your rental arrears to continue they may be able to do this. It’s important that you address any rental arrears as quickly as possible.

If you are 14 days behind in your rent, you will probably receive a Notice to Vacate from the landlord or real estate agent. This is the start of the eviction process, but you still have plenty of opportunity to address the arrears and continue living in the property. To do this you should contact your landlord or real estate agent immediately to discuss a payment plan to bring your rental payments up to date. If you are having problems doing this, an Initial Assessment and Planning worker could assist you.

If eligible you may be able to access a small amount of financial assistance to help towards your rental arrears. The amount of financial assistance is limited, and you would still need to organise a payment plan to pay off the majority of the arrears. Remember that the property you are living in needs to be affordable for you in order to access any financial assistance. This means the rent must not be higher than 55% of your total household income. A worker can tell you more about any financial help that may be available.

Step Ahead Program

The Step Ahead Program is a supported accommodation program for single young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Step Ahead can:

  • Provide you with temporary...

Indigenous Tenants at Risk Program (ITAR)

The Indigenous Tenants at Risk Program provides support and advocacy assistance to Indigenous people who are tenants or prospective tenants of Aboriginal Housing Victoria (AHV) or the Office of...

Tenancy Plus - Tenancy Support Program

The Tenancy Plus Program works with people who are currently living in or moving into a public housing property.

We aim to provide support to public housing tenants and residents in order...

Private Rental Access Program (PRAP)

PRAP is designed to assist clients establish or maintain private rental accommodation as a long term housing option. This can be achieved by providing the client with a range of flexible financial...

Initial Assessment & Planning (IA&P)

Initial Assessment and Planning (IA&P) is a homelessness service and is the primary entry point for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness throughout Victoria.

IA&P workers...

Emergency Youth Accommodation (EYA)

The Emergency Youth Accommodation program is a 10-bed facility located in Dandenong. It provides 24-hour residential support and case management to single young people who are homeless. Residents...

Drug Court Homelessness Assistance Program (DCHAP)

DCHAP is a program that provides homelessness assistance and support to people on a Drug Treatment Order (DTO) that have been sentenced by the Drug Court of Victoria; these particular clients have...

Accomodation Options for Families (AOF)

The aim of this program is to address the needs of families who are currently residing in or at risk of residing in unsafe, unregistered or insecure rooming houses. The program provides short to...

Subscribe to Housing Assistance