WAYSS Ltd Emergency Youth Accommodation is a 10-bed facility located in Dandenong. It provides 24-hour residential support and case management to single young people who are homeless. Residents at EYA can stay for a period of up to six weeks.
EYA is available to receive referrals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, however during normal business hours, referrals can be directed to Youth Intake and Assessment workers at various WAYSS locations.
EYA expects that residents will make a commitment to engage in some form of education, employment or training. This may include mainstream options, however it may involve volunteer work, participating in community groups or similar alternative options. EYA is dedicated to an individualised response to young people’s needs.
EYA primarily explores whether or not a young person can safely return to the family home. If it is not possible for a safe return, but there is an option for a young person to build a healthy relationship with family members, EYA will refer to a specialist practitioner who can facilitate positive interaction meetings.
EYA encourages residents to develop their independent living skills in a manner suitable to their needs. Such skills include:
EYA has resident rights and responsibilities in place and the expectation exists that young people will comply and abide by them. These include:
- To extend respect and courtesy to co-residents, staff and visitors
- To acknowledge that residents, with staff, will work towards securing safe and affordable accommodation
- To acknowledge that residents, with staff, will work towards linking in with education, employment and training opportunities
- To contribute to the overall running of the house
- To be home by curfew (10pm Sun-Thur, 11:30pm Fri-Sat)
EYA encourages residents to participate in recreational activities which take place on weekend afternoons. These activities can include:
- Puffing Billy
- Science Works
- Melbourne Aquarium
- Ashcombe Maze
- Phillip Island
- Roller blading